SHOPPING PITT STREET MALL
The Pitt Street Mall was developed in the 1990’s and is a pedestrianised section of Pitt Street, which runs for approximately 200 meters between Market St and King St, it is one of Australia’s busiest and most cosmopolitan shopping precincts.
Despite its small size, the mall hosts many flagship chain stores and some 400 specialty stores and one of the main venues of Sydney Fashion Week, which is held in May.
In 2010-2011, along with upgrades to retail areas, the Pitt Street Mall saw a $10 Million refurbishment. This included a provision of new seating, pavers and catenary lighting system.
Five shopping centres and arcades are located on Pitt Street Mall:
- Westfield Sydney - Is a large, upmarket shopping centre which opened in stages from late 2010 to early 2011 and is the largest shopping centre in the CBD.
- MidCity - Is a four level shopping centre and office building which opened in 2010.
- The Strand Arcade - Opened in 1891 and is the last remaining Victorian era arcade in the Sydney CBD.
- Glasshouse - An office and retail building located on the end of Pitt Street Mall and King Street. Opened in 1990 and refurbished in 2015.
- Sydney Arcade - An arcade originally built in 1882 and was demolished in 1954. It is currently a small arcade located behind the heritage listed Victorian building located at the northern end of Pitt Street Mall.